Your PLN(Blog3)

How diverse is your existing PLN?

My current PLN is quite diverse, as I am able to connect with different people on social media, depending on what I am looking for on the internet. Even if we live in different countries, I usually use Wechat to communicate with my family and friends in China. Another example would be that if I want to know the course outline or I have a question related to course topics, I will contact a professor through the Uvic email system. If I am seeking a job, I usually use LinkedIn to connect with a company’s human resources department and inquire about salary or send my resume.

In your PLN, are you learning from a variety of voices or are you the loudest in the room?

As a person who has a PLN, I prefer to listen to other members’ ideas as I think that it is a more efficient way of communicating with the other members than becoming involved in arguments. In computer science class, for example, we usually work in groups to design a website. I first listen to others’ opinions, then I discuss what we are missing or any difficult parts that may make it impossible to finish the project on time. The group work helped me a great deal in getting to know more friends who I did not already know, and I am sure we can work together again in the future.

Do you participate in a silo of information sharing (similar themes or wide range of interests)?

It is great to participate in a silo of information sharing. The reason for this is that when you are learning a new concept, the easiest way to memorize it is to repeat it repeatedly. For example, if I wanna apply for a computer science job in the future, the fast and effective way is to practice interview questions. You can do it with a friend. However, I like to do it myself, it helps me focus on what I am doing at the moment rather than just chatting with my friends. Often, the sharing of questions will help you better gain new knowledge, but if you have a difficult problem, I have to learn to share questions with other people, and I believe it can increase your efficiency.

How can you use a diverse PLN to broaden your views of inclusion?

The Internet is a place where people have diverse opinions regarding the same topic, and the best way is to accept that these opinions are based on their own life experience. In PLN I noticed some people talking about vaccines. Some people believe that vaccines are a good way to limit the number of people who become infected with COVID-19. Nonetheless, some people believe vaccines do not benefit human health, and some people are more likely to get sick when they take vaccine shots. Everyone has a different opinion based on the fact that they can receive information in a variety of ways from the Internet.

In your professional setting of choice, do you think inclusion is actively embraced?

In my professional setting of choice, I believe inclusion is actively embraced. In my position as a computer science student, we have a lot of work to share about how to make a website more appealing and how to streamline coding. Each of these group activities should be actively pursued, so that everyone will work together more effectively.

What is the learning outcome of your PLN and how are you ensuring your exposure to diversity and inclusion?

My learning outcome from my PLN is to learn different ways to solve the same interview question. As an example, when I am dealing with a resume question I always start by trying to solve it myself, but then after I have tried mine, I will search for other solutions on google or ask my friends. By knowing other solutions, I can simplify my code and make it more readable.

How has your thinking about inclusion and PLN evolved after reviewing the videos and readings?

Learning more about inclusion and PLN evolved after viewing the videos and readings, I found that sharing is an important skill, that can help you meet more people along your career journey, and can help you overcome any shortcomings.

Blog feedback:

« »